by Street-Smart Marketing
by Burt Dubin
Your marketing prowess determines your success in the speaking
business. In particular, your marketing smarts affect your
fee. I've spoken at dozens of conferences at which other speakers
nowhere near my equal as a speaker were paid more money. Why?
Because they out-marketed me. I don't want this to happen
to you. Here are the steps I recommend so your marketing will
be as spectacular as your speaking performance.
Take these profit-boosting actions now:
- Develop and treasure your niche. Be #1 at what
you do. Create a niche in which you can make yourself #1.
- Feature your exclusive niche as your theme in all
your marketing messages.
- Offer special arrangements to your established clients.
Offer enticements to keep them coming to you for your exclusive
benefits. For example, no travel expenses when you're coming
to their city anyway for another gig.
- Promote widely within industries/markets you penetrate.
Write articles for their journals. Speak at their meetings.
Let their associations distribute your book. All to make
yourself recognized and respected.
- Include irresistible extras when you do a Keynote or
a General Session. Get your full fee, of course. Then
throw in a breakout session or host a panel discussion --
even both. Be available to answer questions after you're
back in your office. (This assertion -- which took only
10 seconds of a program -- led to a lucrative consulting
assignment that, in turn, helped me win my wife.)
- Triple Guarantee your work. (Details in my Model
- Love your clients, your decision-makers and the audiences
you're priviliged to address. Overwhelm them with quality
and value. Delight them with little unexpected surprises.
* If you don't have the acclaimed Program Confirmation model
that includes this triple guarantee, send me an SASE and I'll
send you a copy with my compliments.